Mediator / Arbitrator
Colorado Mediators & Arbitrators
PO Box 460922, Aurora CO 80046-0922
Email Judy West
Judy West (formerly Judy Larkins) is the owner and founder of Colorado Mediators & Arbitrators.
Expertise: Promoting Fairness, Fair Process and Efficiency
Professional History and Alternative Dispute Resolution / ADR: Judy West’s early career was in the Financial Services Industry, licensed for 12 years as a Registered Rep from 1992 - 2003 to include Life Insurance Sales Agent (Licenses included Life, Accident, and Health, Property & Casualty, Series 6 for Mutual Fund and Annuity Sales) and as a Stock Broker in retail and institutional trading and sales (Licensed in Series 7 and 63.) She began her dispute resolution career after completing a B.S. in Human Resources Management and a subsequent Alternative Dispute Resolution / ADR Internship at the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission / EEOC in the fall of 2002 in the Mediation Department.
Judy now Mediates and Arbitrates cases involving Divorce & Family, Real Estate & Earnest Money Disputes, and Small Business Disputes between partners, vendors, and clients. Ms. West is a careful observer of spoken and unspoken messages, and has a strong aptitude for working with individuals from diverse socio-economic backgrounds. She is a seasoned negotiator in mediation, creating agreements that meet the needs and interests of all sides. As an Arbitrator, she uses her many years of professional and financial experience in conjunction with common sense and wisdom, when deciding disputed matters.
Judy welcomes the opportunity to serve LGBTQ in all matters of dispute, recognizing the emergence and changing needs of all people and all protected classes. All parties who participate in mediation with Judy West are treated with equal respect and honor as valued individuals, credited with making the best choices for themselves within their workplaces and family obligations.
Former FINRA Arbitrator: Ms. West was an industry expert panel member for the Financial Industries Regulatory Authority, a self-regulatory agency that enforces the Securities and Exchange Commission laws.
Domestic Mediator: Ms. West negotiates voluntary settlements in the following common areas of dispute when partners split or divorce, along with post-decree modifications and agreed-upon changes after a divorce is finalized.
- Mediated creation and modification of parenting plan and schedule changes, decision making, school enrollment, travel outside of the country, extra-curricular activities, ordinary and extraordinary expense sharing, private schooling, taxation and dependent deductions relocation, and other matters jointly submitted to domestic / family mediation.
- Implementation and/or interpretation of a current the division of debts & assets
- Disputed pre-nuptial agreements
- Division of family-owned businesses
- Large family disputes with protracted systemic conflict. Work oriented toward reconciliation and specific plans for reestablishing trust and redefined roles
Domestic Arbitrator under C.R.S. §14-10-128.5: Ms. West serves as a Domestic Arbitrator for cases involving a material change to the existing court order or to decide a matter of dispute. Common areas of dispute are school enrollment, expense sharing for extracurricular activities and children's expenses, and contested relocation with minor children when geographical ties are broken (moving to another state or within the state but too far for frequent exchange of children for parenting time. The court retains jurisdiction over the parties, and either party may motion the court for a de novo (new) hearing.
- Graduate Certificate, Alternative Dispute Resolution, University of Denver 2006
- B.S. Human Resources Management, Regis University, Magna cum Laude 2002
- Undergraduate Coursework, Arapahoe Community College, Nursing 1992
- 1st Annual COAFCC State Conference: Brain and Bias 2015
- Post Award Proceedings in Arbitration, Colorado Bar Association CLE 2008
- How to Try and Handle a Domestic Relations Case, Colorado Bar Association CLE 2007
- Spring Family Law Update, Colorado Bar Association CLE 2006
- Comprehensive Training for Parenting Coordinators & Decision Makers, Christine Coates/Betsy Duvall 2006
- CCMO Fall Conference Panel Presenter, Med-Arb: The Best Uses of This Hybrid Process 2006
- EEOC TAPS Presenter, Mediation in the Workplace 2004
- Organizational Ombuds Training, The Ombuds Association, Toronto Canada 2004
- Conflict Transformation / Summer Peace-Building Institute, Eastern Mennonite University, Harrisonburg VA 2003
- Learning to Listen, Learning to Teach
- Trauma Healing & Reconciliation
- Conflict Transformation
- Mediating Workplace Disputes, CDR Associates, Boulder CO 2003
- Community Mediation Training, Face to Face, Aurora CO 2003
- Parent/Teen Mediation Training Presenter, Face to Face, Littleton CO 2003
- Denver Victim/Offender Reconciliation Training, Denver VORP, Denver CO 2003
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), ADR Academic Internship in Employment Mediation 2002
- Colorado Mediators & Arbitrators, Executive Director 2005 – present
- Vision Mediation Group, LLC, Divorce and Family Mediator 2003 - 2005
- HRC/SVL, LLC Human Resources Generalist 2003
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Internship - ADR Department Fall Semester 2002
- Charles Schwab & Co., Inc., Senior Business Development Specialist, Retail & Institutional Trader 1995 – 2001
Licenses held - Series 7 & 63 (lapsed 2003)
- Prudential Insurance Company, Retail Insurance Agent 1992 – 1995
Licenses held - Life, Accident & Health; Variable Annuities; Property & Casualty; Series 6
- Porter Hospital, Admissions Clerk / Student Nurse / Arapahoe Community College Nursing Program 1989 - 1992